National Register of Historic Places in Napa County
Far Niente was founded in 1885 by John Benson. The name was derived from the Italian dolce far niente (the sweetness of doing nothing). The building was designed by Hamden McIntyre who also designed other wineries using the gravity flow method of wine production: Eshcol Winery, Greystone Cellars and Inglenook Winery.
Prohibition forced Far Niente to close in 1919. It remained dormant until 1979 when Gil Nickel purchased the winery and vineyards. The first Cabernet Sauvignon of the reborn winery was harvested and crushed in 1982.
The winery is open to the public for tours and tastings.