California Historical Landmarks in Mendocino County
California Historical Landmark 674
Highway 162 Inspiration Point At Milepost 23.7
Five Miles South of Covelo
The first inhabitants of Round Valley were the Yuki who resided here for thousands of years in harmony with their natural surroundings. In 1854, European settlers entered the valley. In 1856, conflicts between settlers and Yuki escalated and to protect local tribes the entire watershed was designated a reservatiin. Additional tribes were subsequently forced on the property: Monlacki, Wylaki, Lassik, Sinhtone, Pomo (including Cahto, Kabeyo, Shodakai, Yokayo, Shokawa, Shanel, Kashaya, and Habenapo among others), Wappo, Concow Maidu, Colusa, and Achumawi. In 1864, the government reduced the reservation by four-fifths, to its current size.
California Registered Historical Landmark No. 674
Plaque first placed May 30, 1959. This plaque placed by the State Department of Parks and Recreation in cooperation with the people of Mendocino County, March 21, 2002.
This valley was discovered by Frank M. Azbill, who arrived from Eden Valley on May 15, 1854. During the same year, Charles Kelsey from Clear Lake also visited it and George E. White sighted it from Blue Nose.
Citation from California Office of Historic Preservation