Historic Sites and Points of Interest in Humboldt County

Alford Drug Store and H. J. Mueller Building in Ferndale Alford Drug Store and H. J. Mueller Building
7 July 2007
(Click Photo to Zoom)
Alford Drug Store
409 Main Street
Built 1877

This false-front building is an Italianate Victorian with some Neo-Classical elements.

From 1877 until 1886, it housed the Alford Drug Store. During part of this period, Wells Fargo and Co. maintained an express station in the drug store.

From 1886 until 1897 it housed the Ferndale Lodge 220 IOOF as well as Michel's Drug Store and the Bonetti Jewelry Store.

In 1897, it became a saloon. In 1919, the saloon became a billiard and pool parlor because of prohibition.

From 1925 until 2000, it was Becker's Billiard Parlor.

In 2000, it became Poppa Joe's.

Source: An historical marker erected by the Native Sons of the Golden West in 2010.

The Alford Drug Store building contributes to the Ferndale Main Street Historic District which was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1993.

The contiguous H. J. Mueller Building does not contribute to the historic district. Although the building is not unattractive, it has undergone numerous alterations to the façade that have resulted in a modern eclectic design that is not historical.

Humboldt County: List | Map
California: List | Map