San Francisco Landmarks
The following is excerpted from the San Francisco Landmarks Preservation Advisory Board Case Report dated 17 October 1973:
This Italianate house was built by Stephen L. Piper, a prominent carpenter and house builder in the southern portion of San Francisco, now known as the Bayview District. Piper lived at Eighteenth Avenue south, near the Bayview Park, during the 1860's and 1870's.
According to its style, the house was built between 1865 and 1870. City records show the Sylvester family residing in the house between 1884 and 1900. At that time, the house was located on the south side of Sumatra Street, between Savannah and Platte Streets. Sumatra Street was later renamed Quesada Street. In 1913 the house was moved to its present location on Revere Street. The basement was added at the time of the move, being constructed from the stables which stood on the Quesada Street lot.
The first evidence of the family in South San Francisco appears in 1879 when Daniel and John Sylvester were wholesale butchers and cattle dealers at First Avenue South. In 1870, this neighborhood was set aside by state law as Butchertown or the Butchers' Reservation.
Buildings that Moved
It's not just that the people of the American West are restless, the buildings themselves sometimes pack up and move when - for one reason or another - the neighborhood no longer suits them or the neighbors no longer want them or opportunity waits down the road.
And when buildings remain in place, they are often searching for their identities.
LeConte Memorial Lodge, Yosemite
Little Church on the Hill, Oakhurst
Mansion House Hotel, Watsonville
Marcus Books and Jimbo's Bop City, San Francisco
McCredie House, Central Point, Oregon
Meherin House, Pismo Beach
Nevada-California-Oregon Railway Depot, Alturas
Old Log Jail (Moved Twice), Markleeville
Old Mammoth Saloon (Moved Twice), Mammoth Lakes
Old North San Juan School, North San Juan
Old St. Patrick's Church (Moved Twice), San Francisco
St. James Catholic Church, Georgetown
Sylvester House , San Francisco
Tribune-Republic Building, San Luis Obispo
Tubbs Cordage Company, San Francisco
Tucker House, Martinez
Twenty Mile House, Cromberg
Of the buildings and structures we have visited, the original Reno Arch holds the record for number of moves. It has been moved five times since it was built in 1926.
Jax Truckee Diner holds the distance title. The building moved from New Jersry to Pennsylvanis in 1948, then from Pennsylvania to Califonia in 1992.
Probably the most ambitious relocation occurred on July 4th 1904, when the Southern Pacific Railroad loaded most of the town of Wadsworth, Nevada, onto rail cars and transported the town thirty miles west to create a new town which became known as Sparks.