National Register of Historic Places in Yolo County
The Union Church of Dunnigan is the only historic public building still standing in the town of Dunnigan.
The Gothic Revival style of architecture was popular in America beginning about 1835 and was used for houses and churches, primarily. By 1880 its use in residential building had declined although it remained popular for church architecture well into the 20th century.
The Union Church is a good example of the style in a small and simple rural building. It is the only example in Dunnigan and one of only a few in the county. Some aspects of the building that are indicative of the Gothic Revival are its steeply pitched cross-gabled roofs and its pointed arched windows with drip molds.
Other notable features of the church are its oak pews and altar railings. The pews are curved to accommodate a semi-circular seating arrangement. The double doors separating the sanctuary from the meeting room are wood with inset glass panes. The original doorknobs and hinges are ornately detailed brass.
Adapted from the NRHP nomination.
According to a 1956 edition of the Woodland Daily Democrat, "the Dunnigan of the days when the building was completed consisted of a butcher shop, a general store, a bank (of which the old vault still remains), a Chinese laundry, a hotel, barber shop, a resident physician's office occupied by Dr. William Rathbun, and a small number of homes."