National Register of Historic Places in Ventura County
Dr. Cephus Little Bard came from a family of doctors in Pennsylvania. After serving in the Civil War, he moved to Ventura in 1868 to become the first doctor in the county.
The hospital was financed by Dr. Bard's brother, Senator Thomas R. Bard, and named in memory of their mother, Elizabeth Bard.
The Bard Memorial Hospital is an example of Mission Revival architecture. This style evolved in the 1890s as Californians grew interested in restoring the old Spanish Missions which had been largely ignored since American occupation. Southern California, in particular, was influenced by the new style which paved the way for the more urbane and elaborate Spanish Colonial Revival architectural style of the 1920s.
Source: Adapted from the NRHP nomination submitted in 1977.
Mission San Buenaventura is located a few blocks from this building.
When we photographed the building, it housed professional and business offices.