National Register of Historic Places in Salt Lake County
The three-story, stone and brick J. A. Fritsch Block was built in 1890 as an office building for the Fritsch Investment Company, an early investment business founded by Francis and John A. Fritsch, Utah immigrants of 1889.
The block is architecturally significant as a well-preserved representative of the regional type of Richardsonian Romanesque commercial architecture prevalent in Utah Territory in the late 19th Century.
The architectural firm, Carroll and Kern, was Utah's most prolific at the beginning of the "Utah Building Boom" in 1889. The Fritsch Block, although modest in comparison with Carroll and Kern's larger projects, is the major surviving work of this prominent firm which played an important role in the development of architecture in Utah.
Source: NRHP nomination dated 30 July 1976