National Register of Historic Places in Sonoma County

National Register #72000262: Vallejo Estate in Sonoma 7 June 2004
(Click Photo to Zoom)
National Register #72000262
Vallejo Estate
AKA Lachryma Montis
North Terminus of 3rd Street West

This typical Atlantic Seaboard dwelling of the early 1850's, with steep shingled roof and dormer windows is sited on gently sloping land at the base of a hill. It stands at the end of a long alameda.

Outstanding features are the large pointed window in the front gable, the steeply sloping wood shingled roof with dormers and prominent masonry chimneys, and formal landscape treatment. It is a framed structure of redwood lumber with adobe bricks originally placed in the walls for insulation. Trim and millwork is of wood.

The residence is one of three with this design known to have been built in Northern California in the early 1850's.

Excerpted from the NRHP nomination dated 29 June 1972.

During the American military occupation of California from 1846 to 1850, Vallejo and his wife, Francisca Benicia Carrillo de Vallejo, began to build an estate that would be more secure in title than the vast properties they were granted under the Mexican regime. The abundantly flowing springs at the foot of the hill and the surrounding parcels were purchased in 1849. Other parcels were added over the next several years, until the estate, which Vallejo named Lachryma Montis, consisted of about two hundred acres.

While the house was under construction (circa 1852-53), Vallejo was Mayor of Sonoma, the town he had founded in 1835 as Director of Colonization for Alta California under the Mexican regime.

Vallejo developed the estate extensively during the 1850's and 1860's with ornamental plantings, vegetable gardens, orchards and vineyards. His fruits, brandy and wines, under the Lachryma Montis label, won many awards at state and local agricultural fairs.

Mariano Vallejo died in 1890, his wife the following year. The estate passed to two of the daughters, and it remained as the Mariano Vallejo family seat until the seventeen acres containing the home buildings and the ornamental grounds were transferred to the State of California in 1933.

Excerpted from the NRHP nomination dated 29 June 1972.

The Vallejo Estate is situated within both Sonoma State Historic Park and the Sonoma Plaza Historic District (National Register Listing #75000489).

The Vallejo Estate is also California Landmark 4.

Prev | Next
Sonoma County: List | Map
California: List | Map