Shasta County Points of Interest
The wooden marker reads:
1856-57 Site of Hat Creek Station California Stage Company
1857-59 Temporary military post
After the withdrawal of U.S. troops the "Hat Creek Station" was referred to as "Old Station."
The Clamper marker reads:
The Hat Creek Station was established here in 1856 and operated by the California Stage Co. on the eastern branch of the California-Oregon Trail and the Nobles Trail. The intrusion of the whites through Indian lands led to many conflicts. On August 15, 1859, the station was attacked and burned, and both the proprietor John Callahan and the cook were killed. The following month, Fort Crook established a military post commanded by Lt. Brewer, to protect the emigrants and settlers. The station was abandoned in 1861, and thereafter referred to as the "Old Station".
Dedicated August 26, 2000, by the Lassen-Loomis Outpost 1914, in cooperation with Mt. Lassen Historical Society & Trintarianus Chapter #62, E Clampus Vitus.