National Register of Historic Places in Shasta County
Founded in 1849 as Reading's Springs and renamed Shasta on 8 June 1850, it was the second county seat for Shasta County during the years 1851 to 1888.
Shasta was the metropolis of Northern California during the 1850s. Here the road ended and the Oregon Pack Trail began.
The town, reduced by fire and time to a few structures and a row of ruined buildings, bears testimony to mining and freighting in the Trinity Alps when gold was the byword.
Adapted from the NRHP nomination submitted in 1971.
Old Shasta is also California Historical Landmark 77.
A plaque mounted on the wall reads:On this site, in May 1852, a group of Shasta merchants met with William H. Noble to employ him as a guide over a direct route he had marked as an immigrant trail. This meeting resulted in the establishment of the Noble's Trail.
Rededicated April 27, 1985
By Trinitarianus Chapter No. 62,
E Clampus Vitus