California Historical Landmarks in Shasta County

California Historical Landmark 77
Old Town of Shasta
Highway 299 and Main Stand Trinity Alley
Shasta State Historic Park

Old Town of Shasta, California
19 September 2006
(Click the Photo to Read the Plaque)


Founded in 1849 as Reading's Springs. Named Shasta June 8, 1850. Second county seat Shasta County, 1851-1888. Metropolis northern California during 1850s. End road and beginning Oregon Pack Trail until 1861. Present home Western Star Lodge No. 2, F. & A. M., whose charter brought across plains Peter Lassen party 1848. Shurtleff house built 1851. Business section destroyed, fire 1853. Shasta Courier was founded 1852.

State Registered Historic Landmark No. 77

Tablet furnished by California Centennials Commission. Base provided by Shasta County Centennial Committee.
Dedicated June 12, 1950

In addition to being a California Historicl Landmark, Old Shasta was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.
Prev | Next
Shasta County: List | Map
California: List | Map