San Francisco Landmarks
The Cadillac Hotel was designed by the architectural firm of Meyer and O'Brien in the Renaissance/Baroque style with Art Nouveau influences and a three-part design unusual in apartment hotel construction. Its construction in 1908 foreshadowed the development of the Tenderloin as a major residential neighborhood stimulated by the 1915 Panama Pacific International Exposition.
The hotel was developed by Andrew A. Louderback. Louderback was born in Philadelphia in 1831. In 1849, he arrived in San Francisco with his parents and brother after sailing around the Horn on the ship Levant. He made his career as a produce salesman. He served as a volunteer fireman and a vigilante. He died in 1926 at the age of 94 years.
In 1924, James J. "Moose" Taussig and W. J. "Paddy" Ryan opened the Taussig and Ryan Gymnasium in the former dining room of the hotel. The partnership continued through 1936 after which Ryan maintained sole proprietership until 1942 when he sold it to Joe Herman and William "Billy" Newman. Newman, who died in 1984, was well known and respected by boxing professionals and his Tenderloin neighbors. He had a reputation for generosity, demonstrated by his assistance to fighters who couldn't afford gym fees and equipment.
Well known boxers who trained at the gym include Muhammad Ali, Freddie Apostoli, Max Baer, Jim Braddock, Frankie Campbell, Primo Canera, Ezzard Charles, Al Citrino, Jack Dempsey, George Foreman, News Boy Garvas, Masahiko "Fighting" Harada, Fidel La Barba, Jake LaMotta, Joe Louis. Rocky Marciano, Small Montana, Archie Moore, Bobo Olson, Floyd Patterson and Sugar Ray Robinson.
When the Cadillac Hotel was designated a city landmark in 1984, the gym was reputedly the oldest boxing gymnasium in the nation and the only professional boxing facility in San Francisco. The gym closed in 1992.
Adapted from City Planning Commission Resolution 10152 dated November 15, 1984.
Today the Cadillac Hotel provides supportive housing for approximately 160 tenants. According to the Cadillac Hotel website, it was the first non-profit Single-Residence Occupancy (SRO) hotel west of the Mississippi.