San Francisco Points of Interest
On September 25, 2014, the James R. Herman Cruise Terminal began operations at Pier 27. Previously, San Francisco's sole, spartan cruise terminal was located here at Pier 35. Pier 35 still provides backup to the new terminal.
The bulkhead wharf and pier substructure were built in 1914, and the bulkhead building and transit shed were built in 1915-1916. The bulkhead building was connected to the Pier 33 bulkhead building when that structure was completed in 1919.
In 1933 the pier was lengthened by 78 feet, an elevated passenger gallery was added to the interior, and the walls were largely rebuilt. New staircases were added to the interior in 1957.
In 1981 major changes were made to the east aisle of the interior of the transit shed. These changes included the addition of new offices, waiting rooms, an escalator, and a staircase, and alterations to the mezzanine gallery. These additions and alterations occupy about half of the east aisle.
Pier 35 contributes to NRHP Listing #06000372: Port of San Francisco Embarcadero Historic District.