National Register of Historic Places in Santa Cruz County
The original farmhouse of the Live Oak Ranch was built in 1871 and was added to and given its present character by an addition in 1885 designed by architect Emil John. The architecture has been labeled by some as Italianate Victorian and by others as Eastlake, but it may be that the architect adapted the two to his own taste or to the taste of the Hagemanns.
The garden has many old-fashioned plants such as wirevines, spiraeia, hawthorne and boxwood hedges as well as many mimosa, black acacias, red flowering eucalyptus and camphor trees.
The Hagemann House is one of the few Victorian houses in rural setting located in the middle of the population of greater Santa Cruz. The property contains more than seven heavily wooded acres The driveway coming in from Mentel Avenue is over one-quarter of a mile long, between tall rows of cypress and eucalyptus. The house is in a garden setting without the typical look found on a street with paving, sidewalks, curbs and gutters.
Adapted from the NRHP Nomination.