National Register of Historic Places in Santa Clara County
Stanford University's Red Barn is the most significant building remaining from the once world-famous Palo Alto Stock Farm, founded by Leland Stanford and operated from approximately 1878 until 1903.
The Red Barn was the Stock Farm's training stable. It is an excellent example of Stick-Eastlake styling of the period applied to a utilitarian structure.
The Red Barn is agriculturally and scientifically significant because it was at the functional center of the Stock Farm, a large scale biological laboratory in which Leland Stanford studied the anatomy and locomotion of horses and experimented with his progressive and controversial theories about breeding and training. Together with a carriage house and a similar, but slightly smaller colt barn nearby, the training stable was at the hub of the Stock Farm's activity.
Only the Red Barn training stable still stands.
Excerpted from the NRHP nomination form.