California Historical Landmarks in Santa Clara County
California Historical Landmark 902
First Unitarian Church Of San Jose
160 North 3rd Street
This building, designed by George W. Page in 1891, became the permanent home of a congregation that first met in City Hall in 1866. A version of Richardsonian Romanesque style, the innovative structure withstood the earthquake of 1906 and became a shelter for the injured. In 1906, the church women organized San Jose's first day nursery.
California Registered Historical Landmark No. 902
Plaque placed by the State Department of Parks and Recreation in cooperation with the members of the congregation, May 20, 1979.
The First Unitarian Church Of San Jose is also National Register Listing 77000343.