California Historical Landmarks in Santa Clara County
California Historical Landmark 800
Arroyo de San Joseph Cupertino
21840 McClellan Road
This arroyo honoring San Joseph, patron saint of flight and students, was first discovered and traversed by Spanish explorers in 1769. On March 25-26, 1776, Colonel Juan Bautista de Anza made it his encampment No. 93, as mapped by his cartographer, Padre Pedro Font, before continuing on to the San Francisco Bay area where he initiated steps to found a colony, a mission, and a presidio.
California Registered Historical Landmark No. 800
Plaque placed by the State Department of Parks and Recreation in cooperation with the Cupertino Historical Society, Inc., May 29, 1968.