National Register of Historic Places in San Joaquin County
The modern skyscraper had come of age during this period, expressing new building technologies and an era of prosperity. It is these buildings of the Southern Mine Boom which caused Stockton to become known as the brick city.
In 1929, the Commercial and Savings Bank was purchased by the Bank of Italy, later to become the Bank of America. A mezzanine was added to the rear of the bank lobby area and polished granite added to the first floor exterior.
Another addition at the north side of the building was erected in 1941.
Source: Adapted from the NRHP nomination submitted in 1980.