National Register of Historic Places in San Joaquin County
September 7, 1907, was the opening day of Lodi's first annual Tokay and Wine Festival, and the beginning of a Lodi tradition.
The preparation took several months. In final preparation for the carnival, E. B. Brown, chief decorator, announced that he would surprise the public from an architectural standpoint. He designed a Mission Revival arch constructed of cement and metal lath 80 feet wide and 40 feet high.
Although the arch was the main attraction of the three day festival, other scheduled events included dances, parades, and wine tasting.
The Lodi Arch has continued to serve as a symbol of civic pride, and a focus for Lodi's core area. Located on the grounds of the Southern Pacific depot, the arch blends gracefully with the depot and surrounding commercial structures, many dating to the late 19th century. The only major alterations to the structure were the addition of a statue of the California Golden Bear, and a large sign reading Lodi below the mission bells.
Restoration work on the bear and the arch occured in 1938 and 1956 respectively.
Adapted from the NRHP nomination submitted in 1980.