National Register of Historic Places in San Diego County
The McClintock Storage Warehouse is one of the few remaining examples of a large commercial warehouse from an era which saw a tremendous growth of commerce in San Diego. It was designed by architect Herbert Palmer in the same period and same Mission Revival style as the adjacent Santa Fe Depot.
The structure was built of reinforced concrete for strength, permanence and fire resistance. The builder, William Ernest Kier, was a giant in the construction industry, who built such structures as the Grand Coulee and Coolidge Dams.
When the building opened in 1925, it was the site of the Greater San Diego Exposition, an exhibition of local merchants, manufacturers and automobile dealers. It was and the only San Diego exhibition of any size held between 1916 and 1935.
Source: Adapted from the NRHP nomination submitted in 1980.
When we photographed the building in 2016, it was occupied by rental live-work lofts.