California Historical Landmarks in San Diego County
California Historical Landmark 59
San Diego Presidio Site
Presidio Drive in Presidio Park
All Photos 22 December 2016
(Click Photos to Zoom)
Soldiers, sailors, Indians, and Franciscan missionaries from New Spain occupied the land at Presidio Hill on May 17, 1769 as a military outpost. Two months later, Fr. Junipero Serra established the first San Diego Mission on Presidio Hill. Officially proclaimed a Spanish Presidio on January 1, 1774, the fortress was later occupied by a succession of Mexican forces. The Presidio was abandoned in 1837 after San Diego became a pueblo.
California Registered Historical Landmark No. 59
First registered Dec. 6, 1932. Plaque placed by the State Department of Parks and Recreation in cooperation with the San Diego Department of Parks and Recreation and Squibob Chapter, E Clampus Vitus, August 8, 1992.
San Diego Presidio is also listed on the National Register of Historic Places.