California Historical Landmarks in Sacramento County
California Historical Landmark 633
Old Folsom Powerhouse
Greenback Lane in Folsom Powerhouse State Historic Park
In the 1850s, Horatio Gates Livermore and later his sons, Horatio P. and Charles E., pioneered the development of ditches and dams on the American River for industry and agriculture. One historic result was Folsom Powerhouse, which began operations in July, 1895. Power was delivered to Sacramento at 11,000 volts, which was a new achievement in long-distance high-voltage transmission. The capital celebrated by a grand electric carnival September 9, 1895.
The original generating plant, still in place, remained in continuous operation until 1952.
The plant was donated by Pacific Gas and Electric Co. to the State of California to preserve its historical values.
California Registered Historical Landmark no. 633
Plaque placed by the California State Park Commission in cooperation with the Sacramento Section American Institute
of Electrical Engineers.
Folsom Powerhouse is a National Historic Landmark, a National Historic Mechanical Engineering Landmark, and a National Historic Civil Engineering Landmark.