California Historical Landmarks in Sacramento County
California Historical Landmark 614
Leland Stanford House
800 N Street
The house was originally designed in 1857 by Seth Babson and was purchased by Leland Stanford in 1861. It served as the state executive office from 1861 to 1867 before the completion of the State Capitol. It was later extensively remodeled and enlarged. In 1900 Jane Lathrop Stanford gave the house to the Roman Catholic Diocese of Sacramento to create the Stanford-Lathrop Memorial Home for Friendless Children.
California Registered Historical Landmark No. 614
Plaque placed by the State Department of Parks and Recreation with the cooperation and support of the Stanford Alumni Club of Sacramento
August 1, 1986
The Stanford House is also National Register Listing #71000178.