Plumas County Points of Interest
The Clamper plaque reads:
Sloat Towne Hall
The Sloat Towne Hall is the only remaining public building in Sloat. It was built in 1935 as a union and meeting hall, and was donated by the United Independent Workers' Union to the community in 1956.
The town of Sloat once boasted a population of over 2,000 people, made up mostly of employees at the lumber mill and box factory, miners, ranchers and itinerant workers.
Western Pacific named the station Sloat in 1910, in honor of Commodore John Drake Sloat, who took possession of California for the United States in July, 1846. Changes in the times has [sic] caused the once boomtown to become a ghost town.
Dedicated by Las Plumas Del-Oro
Chapter 8 of E Clampus Vitus, 1986