Plumas County Points of Interest
The Clamper plaque reads:
Sloat Mill Site
(Thought to have been named for Commodore John Drake Sloat of Bear Flag Revolt fame.)
Several ranches were established in Long Valley during the 1800s. In 1912, the Sloat Lumber Co. cut the first boards in its new sawmill, allowing the workers to replace their tents with real houses. The Western Pacific Railroad established a depot and in 1915 a post office was opened. The F.S. Murphy Lumber Co. rebuilt their mill that burned in 1918, and in 1926 Quincy Lumber Co. bought the mill, sold it in the late '60s to Digorgio Corp., who sold it in 1976 to Sirra Pacific Industries. In 1991 the mill shut down for good. After some horsetrading the property is now in the hands of E. Dan Leonhardt.
Dedicated June 13, 1998 by
Las Plumas del Oro Chapter No. 8 E Clampus Vitus