National Register of Historic Places in Jackson County
This building is one of two remaining wood commercial buildings in Central Point. The building was erected in 1888 one year before the incorporation of Central Point.
Merritt moved his business from Jacksonville to Central Point in 1888. He operated his mercantile business for twenty-eight years at Central Point, the last seventeen of which were directly associated with the subject property.
In addition to being a businessman, Merritt was an educator, lecturer and politician who presided over the construction of much of the infrastructure of Central Point.
From 1890 to 1892, Merritt represented southern Oregon in the lower house of the state legislature. From 1896 to 1904, he was mayor of Central Point.
Adapted from the NRHP nomination submitted in 1992.