National Register of Historic Places in Jackson County
This Arts and Crafts bungalow was designed and built by local contractor A. L. Lamb for the Women's Civic Improvement Club.
The building is historically significant for its association with the women's movement and the City Beautiful movement. The Ashland Women's Civic Improvement Club was formed in 1908 to improve and beautify Ashland. This clubhouse was the first specially-designed headquarters for the club.
Promotional efforts by the Women's Civic Improvement Club resulted in the people of Ashland voting to include park maintenance in the city charter. This vote led to the subsequent creation of Lithia Park.
Adapted from the NRHP nomination submitted in 1989.
When we photographed the building in 2007, it was known as Ashland Community Center and was managed by the Ashland Parks & Recreation Department as a venue for private gatherings.