Nevada Historic Markers in White Pine County: Cherry Creek
Nevada Historical Marker 52
End of SR 489
Here, at one time, was the largest town in White Pine County. Part of the Cherry Creek Mining District, Cherry Creek's years of largest gold and silver production were between 1872 and 1883. At the peak of its prosperity, the town had an estimated population of 6,000.
Five miles south of here is Egan Canyon, where one of the oldest gold mines in Nevada was located. A stage station was located by Major Howard Egan in 1859 for W oodward & Chorpenning's California Mail Co. in 1860, it was used by the Pony Express as a change station, and from 1861 to 1869 it was an Overland Stage station.
In 1864, a five-stamp mill, the first such in eastern Nevada, and a small mining camp were constructed. Most of the early activity had ceased by 1883, but in 1897 there was a great revival in mining activity which lasted into the early 1900's. During this period, prior to the completion of the Nevada Northern Railroad in 1906, freight and passenger traffic was via long strings of massive freight wagons and stagecoaches from Toano and Wells. In 1933, the old mine was reopened and a new camp was built. Production from the Egan mine over the years has been approximately $3,000,000.