National Register of Historic Places in Washoe County
The Lake Mansion has been moved twice. It was built in 1877 at the corner of California Avenue and Virginia Street.
In 1971, when the building was threatened with demolition, it was moved three miles south to the corner of Virginia Street and Kietke Lane on the grounds of The Coliseum (now the Reno-Sparks Convention Center).
In 2004, it was moved again to its current location.
In 1860, C. W. Fuller of Susanville settled on the south bank of the Truckee River near the spot where the Virginia Street Bridge crosses the river today. Fuller built a bridge, an inn and a stretch of toll road leading away from the river in both directions.
In 1863, Fuller sold out to Myron C. Lake. Lake rebuilt the bridge which had been damaged by high water. Lake soon owned the present townsite of Reno and was prepared for the coming of the Central Pacific Railroad (CPRR). He deeded to the CPRR eighty acres in return for the location of a railroad station and the laying out of the townsite. He gave an acre of land for the county courthouse, its present location.
Lake built the first Lake House in 1870 as a hotel. It was the forerunner of the Riverside Hotel.
The Lake Mansion was built in 1877 by W. J. Marsh at the corner of Virginia Street and California Avenue. In 1879, Marsh sold the house to Lake. Lake died in 1884 and his widow lived in the house until 1889.
The building remained in the family for many decades after the death of Mrs. Lake.
Source: Adapted from the NRHP nomination form submitted in 1972.
The Lake Mansion is also Nevada Historical Landmark 227.