Nevada Historic Markers in Mineral County
Nevada Historical Marker 60
E and East 10th Streets
Present Mineral Co. Seat - Former Esmeralda Co. Seat
Townsite selected in 1880 by H.M. Yerington, President of the Carson and Colorado Railroad Co., as a division and distribution point for the new railroad.
Yerington named the new town Hawthorne after a lumberman friend in Carson City, and on April 14, 1881, the first train arrived, loaded with prospective buyers for the new town lots.
In 1926, a destructive munitions explosion in the east caused the military to select Hawthorne for a new site. In 1928, Governor Balzar, former citizen of Hawthorne, turned the first shovel of dirt and dedicated the new depot which was officially opened in 1930.
Hawthorne is a central point for desert travelers and for the vacation activity on nearby Walker Lake.
State Historic Marker No. 60
Nevada State Park System
Julia C. Bulette Chapter
E. Clampus Vitus