Nevada Historic Markers in Mineral County
Nevada Historical Marker 92
Candeleria and Metallic City
US 95 at Candelaria Road
Seven miles to the west lie the ghost towns of Candelaria and Metallic City.
Candelaria was presumably named after a mine of that name located in 1865, and also after the Catholic Can-delmas Day. Metallic City, the "Sin City" of Candelaria, and also known as Pickhandle Gulch, lies 3/4-mile to the south of Candelaria. The name Pickhandle was derived from the most popular weapon used for settling disputes.
In 1880, Candelaria was the largest town in the immediate area and boasted of having three doctors, three lawyers, two hotels, six stores and ten saloons. Water piped from Trail Canyon in 1882 caused the price of water to drop from $1 to five cents per gallon.
The leading mine, the Northern Belle, was first located in 1864 (relocated in 1870). It is reported to have produced an estimated $7 million, mainly in silver.