National Register of Historic Places in Lander County
St. Augustine's Catholic Church is the oldest Catholic church in Nevada. From St. Augustine's Parish, priests such as Fr. Edward Kelly and Fr. Dominick Monteverde fanned out to establish Catholicism in eastern Nevada and Utah in the 1860s and 1870s.
The interior retains many early features including grained pews, Gothic confessionals, and a decoratively painted Henry C. Kilgen organ in a Gothic case. In 1939, the parish hired Rafael Jolly to paint murals for the interior, and the vibrantly colored scenes of events in the lives of Christ and St. Augustine are today the artistic highlight of the building.
With Austin's eventual decline, St. Augustine's Catholic Church became a mission church. Services ceased at the end of the 20th century
Source: Adapted from the NRHP nomination form submitted in 2003.