Nevada Historic Markers in Humboldt County
Nevada Historical Marker 144
Established in 1865, it was first called Quinn River Camp No. 33 (on the East Fork) then renamed in honor of military District Commander Lt. Col. Charles McDermitt, who was killed by Indians. Typically, the fort consisted of several adobe, stone and frame buildings surrounding a square. Its purpose was to protect the Virginia City-Quinn River Valley-Oregon Road. Twenty-four years of operation made it the longest active Army fort in Nevada. Its troops participated in the Modoc War and the Bannock and Shoshone Indian troubles. It was the last of the Nevada Army posts in service when converted into an Indian reservation school in 1889.