Nevada Historic Markers in Carson City: Government Building (1888-1970)
Nevada Historical Marker 75
Federal Government Building (1888-1970)
401 North Carson Street
This imposing public structure, the former United State Post Office and Courthouse, represents the first federal office building constructed in the State of Nevada. Construction began in late 1888 and was completed in 1891 at a cost of $134,605.53.
Designed by Mifflin E. Bell, Supervising Architect of the Treasury Department, the building incorporates many elements of the Romanesque Revival style. Subsequent interior designs were made by Bell's successors, Will Frost and James Windrum.
Thomas P. Hawley was the first United States District Judge to preside in Carson City. The last federal judge was Bruce R. Thompson whose court was moved to Reno, August 1965.
This building ceased to serve as a post office in 1970 with William E. Dunfield as Postmaster. Deeded to the State in 1971 and listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1979, the Government Building continues to serve the public.
State Historic Marker No. 75
Division of Historic Preservation & Archeology
Carson City Historical Commission
The old Carson City Post Office is also National Register Listing #79003440.
The Office of the Supervising Architect was an agency of the United States Treasury Department that designed federal government buildings from 1852 until World War II.
1869: United States Mint, Carson City
1888: Federal Government Building, Carson City
1893: United States Post Office and Courthouse, San Francisco
1910: United States Post Office and Courthouse, Eureka
1910: United States Post Office and Federal Building, Santa Rosa
1912: United States Post Office, Chico
1915: United States Post Office, Berkeley
1915: United States Post Office and Courthouse, Medford
1932: United States Post Office, Marysville
1933: United States Post Office and Courthouse, Las Vegas