Historic Sites and Points of Interest in Nevada County
A plaque by the entrance reads:400 Broad Street
It was at this location on the afternoon of June 5, 1880 that a fire erupted in John White's Upholstery Shop. More than fifty buildings - including the nearby New York Hotel and most of the Chinese Quarter - were destroyed within an hour, but from the ashes of that conflagration a new business district emerged and York Street was created to ensure better downtown fire protection. Then, early in the 20th Century, a doctor's office was established here. The longest-serving physician to occupy this corner was Bernard W. Hummelt, MD (1906-1998), who, between 1934 and his retirement in 1988, practiced internal medicine, orthopedics and general surgery. Over the course of his lengthy career he delivered over 1500 Nevada County babies. Dr. Hummelt was among the earliest physicians in the nation to administer penicillin and was instrumental in the founding of Sierra Nevada Memorial Hospital - where he served as its third Chief of Staff.
Placed by the family of Bernard W. Hummelt, M.D. to honor the centennial of Dr. Hummelt's birth
August 5, 1906
A Remarkable Life - An Exemplary Career
Although this building is located within the Nevada City Downtown Historic District, it does not contribute to the district.
According to the National Register of Historic Places nomination form:
This one-story frame building now covered with composition siding was built after the 1880 fire. It has been changed so many times that it retains no architectural style or integrity.