National Register of Historic Places in Napa County
Calistoga is surrounded by hot springs and geysers.
Beginning in the 1860s, the town gained a reputation for its spas and mineral waters. Travellers were also drawn to Calistoga because it was the northern terminus of the railroad, and it was a supply center for quicksilver mines located on Mount St. Helena. Mining activity followed a boom or bust cycle into the 1950s.
In 1899, John Ghisolfo and his family immigrated to Calistoga from Italy. Ghisolfo worked as a rancher, a bottler of mineral water and as a wine maker.
In 1912, he purchased the European Hotel, a wood frame structure that had been built around 1890.
In 1919, he moved the European Hotel to the back of the lot to make room for the Mount View Hotel. The new hotel provided the traveller with moderate priced lodging and dining, including mineral water and fresh food from the hotel farm. Mineral water was piped in for bathing purposes.
Ghisolfo owned and managed the hotel until his retirement in 1964.
Source: Adapted from the NRHP nomination submitted in 1982.