California Historical Landmarks in Modoc County
California Historical Landmark 430
Fort Bidwell Indian Community Center
West End of Bridge Street
Fort Bidwell, named for John Bidwell, was established in 1865. The fort, which operated until 1893, was one of the last early military posts north of Benicia to be abandoned. From 1898 to 1930, the fort served as a non-reservation boarding school for Indians.
Citation from California Office of Historic Preservation