National Register of Historic Places in Mendocino County
The following paragraph is quoted verbatim from the NRHP nomination submitted in 1990.
"This is an essentially unaltered and extremely rare example of the large elegant houses built in Point Arena during the 1870s. Once there were a half-dozen or more, constructed by the town's leading citizens to provide the inhabitants with all the comforts of late nineteenth-century America - and to show passers-by that those inside were indeed comfortable. Even compared with its peers, this house must have stood out. Its standard L-plan is embellished with clipped gables, two dormers that cut through the cornice line, and a front bay window. The detailing is unbridled Victoriana - dentil courses on all cornice lines, bracketed hoods above all the double-hung windows, and turned posts to support the porch roof. Adding to its imposing appearance is its siting on an elevated lot overlooking Main Street. Not surprisingly, the house was owned by prominent families. First were the Hoyts, who came to Point Arena in the 1860s and operated a dairy. In 1888 the Hoyts' daughter Belle and her husband H. B. Scott moved into the house. Scott was a merchant and rancher who ran the Scott Opera House and served as county supervisor and justice of the peace. His family, known for its theatricality, must have perfectly fit this flamboyant house."