National Register of Historic Places in Mariposa County
The Rangers' Club is a two-story, wood-framed structure located in Yosemite Valley across from the Valley Administration Building.
Stephen T. Mather, the first director of the National Park Service, employed park rangers to guide tourists and protect the park from poachers. In 1920, Mather hired architect Charles Sumner to construct a home for members of his newly organized ranger force, and it was dedicated later that year. It includes dormitories for unmarried rangers. Mather paid for the building out of his own pocket for $39,380.
The Rangers' Club is still in use today as a home for seasonal rangers.
The Rangers' Club was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1985 for significance in the development of the National Park Service Rustic architecture style.
There are four National Historic Landmarks in Yosemite National Park: