California Historical Landmarks in Lassen County
California Historical Landmark 677
Noble Emigrant Trail
US 395 at Viewland Road
This route was first used in 1852 by emigrants to Northern California seeking to avoid the hardships of the Lassen Trail. It crossed the desert from the Humboldt River in Nevada, passed this point, and proceeded over the mountains to the town of Shasta. Later, 1859-1861, it was known as the Ft. Kearney, South Pass and Honey Lake Wagon Road. From this point Peter Lassen and J. G. Bruff on October 4, 1850, saw Honey Lake while on an expedition hunting for Gold Lake.
California Registered Historic Landmark No. 677
Plaque placed by the California State Park Commission in cooperation with the Lassen County Historical Society, August 15, 1959.