National Register of Historic Places in Inyo County
This historic crossroad has been used by Indians, Clampers, Death Valley 49ers, ranchers, farmers, settlers and tourists.
The town was originally called Amargosa. In 1907, the name was changed to Death Valley Junction. At this junction, the Tonopah & Tidewater Railroad connected with the Las Vegas - Tonopah Railroad to service the Ryan and Lilac C. Borax Mines near Ryan during the years 1914 - 28.
Death Valley Junction had rail service until 1940. At it's [sic] peak, the town had a population of 300.
Today, the town is on the National Register of Historic Places.
Plaque Placed By Billy Holcomb, Joaquin Murrieta, Slim Princess and John P. Squibob Chapters
of E Clampus Vitus
October 29, 1983
The Death Valley Junction historic district encompasses twenty-six structures constructed by the Pacific Coast Borax Company beginning in 1923 to accommodate company operations, company visitors, and company employees and their families.
The buildings within the district are the most nearly intact remnants of a larger settlement which developed around the junction of the Tonopah & Tidewater Railroad and the Death Valley Railroad built by Pacific Coast Borax in 1917 to transport borate ores from its mines to the Mill at Death Valley Junction.
Sixteen of the major structures in the District were built, in a single campaign from 1923 to 1925 and were designed by the Los Angeles architect, Alexander Hamilton McCulloch.
Adapted from the NRHP nomination.
|Name||Year||Address||Remarks||Sort Address||Sort Name|
|Hotel Block||Building 1||B01||Hotel Block|
|Towers||Buildings 2 and 6||B02||Towers|
|South Dormitory||Building 7||B07||South Dormitory|
|Store Block||Building 8||B08||Store Block|
|North Dormitory||Building 3||B03||North Dormitory|
|Doctor's Residence and Hospital||Building 4||B04||Doctor's Residence and Hospital|
|Amargosa Opera House||Building 5||B05||Amargosa Opera House|
|Cottage||Building 13||Two-bedroom, adobe cottage with entry porch.||B13||Cottage|
|Cottages||Buildings 14, 15, 16||Two-bedroom, adobe cottages without porch.||B14||Cottages|
|Cottages||Buildings 17, 18, 19||One-bedroom, adobe cottages.||B17||Cottages|
|Garages||Buildings 23 and 24||B23||Garages|
|Superintendent^ Residence||Building 20||B20||Superintendent^ Residence|
|Residence||Building 22||Moved to this site from Ryan between 1923 and 1926.||B22||Residence|
|Boiler House and Ice Plant||Building 26||B26||Boiler House and Ice Plant|
|Garage and Service Station||Building 09||B09||Garage and Service Station|
|Railway Platform||Building 10||B10||Railway Platform|