Historic Sites and Points of Interest in Humboldt County
The Carson House, also known as the "Pink Lady," is a classic Queen Anne residence designed by the prestigious San Francisco architectural firm, Newsom Brothers. It was completed in 1889 for William Carson, a pioneer lumber baron of Northern California, who had it built as a wedding gift for his son Milton Carson.
After the property left Carson Family ownership in the 1940s, it was used as a boarding house and fell into disrepair. Robert Madsen purchased it in 1963 and rehabilitated it to its former glory.
While the Carson House was being rehabilitated, Madsen decided to paint the exterior pink and white to contrast with the dark color of the nearby Carson Mansion, now known as the Ingomar Club.
Source: An interpretative marker in front of the house.