Historic Sites and Points of Interest in Humboldt County
This Greek Revival building, built around 1869, is the earliest extant commercial building in Eureka. The first-floor storefront dates from the 1880s.
Captain Hans Henry Buhne, one of the first settlers to enter Humboldt Bay, constructed the store as part of his extensive commercial holdings in Eureka.
He served as Vice President and Director of Eureka's first bank, was an active partner in the city's largest sawmill and invested heavily in timber and railroads.
The Buhne General Store contributes to the Eureka Old Town Historic District which was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1991.