National Register of Historic Places in Humboldt County
Augustus Jacoby arrived in Arcata in 1850, with the first settlers. He engaged in packing to the mines and operating a hotel and store. In 1857, he erected a stone and brick storehouse to house his wholesale-retail mercantile business and to provide a fireproof warehouse. This was the first story of the present building.
The fort-like structure was so sound that it was sometimes called upon to double as a shelter for frightened townspeople. Troubles between settlers and native Americans became critical in the late 1850s, with increasingly severe confrontations occurring near Arcata. Townspeople often sought refuge for women and children in Jacoby's stone building. The Jacobys themselves had moved from their farm near town to the back of the storehouse and opened this new home to refugees from more remote areas as well.
The basic shape of the 1857 storehouse was retained when the building was expanded in 1907. It was widened from 34 to 50 feet, lengthened from 104 to 185 feet, and two stories were added, bringing the overall height to 52 feet, including the parapet.
Of the original structure, the entire west wall and the north wall from ground to second floor level, remained as a massive cornerstone. Stone was used to extend the north wall. The original east wall was replaced with a four story wall of solid brick averaging eighteen inches in thickness.
Excerpted from the NRHP Nomination.
The Jacoby Building is also California Historical Landmark 783.