National Register of Historic Places in Humboldt County
From 1850, when the first settlers arrived, until 1914, when the railroad was completed, the Humboldt Bay region depended almost exclusively upon the sea for transportation. Violent seas and a fog-shrouded bar made the entrance to the bay treacherous.
The first lighthouse was built in 1856 on sand-dunes just west of the present Coast Guard Station.
In 1874, the United States Congress authorized the establishment of a Life-Saving Station at Humboldt Bay. The station, located on the north side of the present station, was completed in 1878. It was staffed by six surfmen and a keeper who provided nightly patrols along the beach and watches in the lookout tower.
The current station, built in 1936, is the only building of its kind in the region. It has an eastern seacoast style which has been preserved through thoughtful maintenance and a protected setting.
Source: NRHP nomination submitted in 1979.
Except for the occasional open house, the Humboldt Bay Coast Guard Station is closed to the public.