National Register of Historic Places in Humboldt County
On 11 June 1775, Holy Trinity Sunday, the Spanish ship, Santiago, anchored offshore. Fray Miguel de la Campa, chaplain of the ship, recorded in his diary: "The event of the day was the motive for giving the port the name Trinidad (Most Holy Trinity)."
The crew erected a cross on Trinidad Head and took possession of the land in the name of King Charles III of Spain (Carolus tertius Rex Hispaniarum).
Mass was celebrated. A sermon was preached. Many volleys of cannon and guns were fired as an act of thanks to the Creator.
Holy Trinity Church, built a century later in 1873, was named to commemorate this landing of the Spanish explorers led Bruno de Heceta and Juan Bodega. The first pastor was Father Michael Walrath, a young immigrant from Bochum in Rhenish Prussia.
Source: Adapted from the NRHP nomination submitted in 1980.