National Register of Historic Places in Humboldt County
The Whaley House is one of only five remaining Arcata residences known to have been built in the 1850's and the only remaining Greek Revival cottage with the characteristic double galleries and French doors of settlement period California.
John A. Whaley, a pioneer settler from New York, built this "comfortable and handsome dwelling" on the "plateau north of the Plaza." Whaley, described as a "clear-headed, active and upright businessman," had a saddlery and harness shop and served as the local Justice of the Peace, Town Recorder and Internal Revenue Collector. After his death in 1888, his widow continued to occupy the house where she raised two grandsons.
In 1903, Charles W. Hill, a pioneer settler from New Brunswick who ran a logging operation in Eureka, purchased the house and moved it to its present location.
Excerpted from the NRHP Nomination.