California Historical Landmarks in Glenn County
California Historical Landmark 831
Posted Water Notice Site
CR 6 Between 1st Avenue and Road 205
Arrived, via Panama route, San Francisco, Oct. 10, 1849
Arrived Colusi1 County, July 6, 1850
Ferry boat captain, mail carrier, surveyor, editor, writer, legislator, Surveyor General of the United States, California State Treasurer, irrigationist, friend of man.
On Dec. 18, 1883 posted the first water notice on an oak tree on the west bank of the Sacramento River immediately east of this spot for the diversion of 500,000 miner's inches of water for the irrigation of lands on the west side of the Sacramento Valley.
Dedicated by Colusi County Historical Society
Donated and erected by Glenn-Colusa Irrigation District
May 15, 1954
"............Thou shalt take of the water of the river and pour it upon the dry land." Exodus 4:9