California Historical Landmarks in El Dorado County
California Historical Landmark 486
6191 Pleasant Valley Road
El Dorado, meaning 'The Gilded One,' was first known as Mud Springs from the boggy quagmire the cattle and horses made of a nearby watering place.
Originally an important camp on the old Carson Emigrant Trail, by 1849-50 it had become the center of a mining district and the crossroads for freight and stage lines. At the height of the rush its large gold production supported a population of several thousand.
Historical Landmark No. 486
California State Park Commission
Monument base erected by the Mother Lode Lions Club of Diamond Springs an El Dorado