California Historical Landmarks in Calaveras County
California Historical Landmark 295
Paloma Road and Edster Street
Southwest of Mokelumne Hill
State Registered Landmark No. 295
Gwin Mine, Paloma, Lower Rich Gulch, was mined for placer in 1849. Quartz was discovered by J. Alexander in 1851. Property acquired by William M. Gwin, California's first U.S. Senator, in 1851. The Gwin Mine closed in 1908. Yielded millions.
Marker placed by California Centennials Commission.
Base furnished by Paloma Community Club
Dedicated September 5, 1949